Friday, February 26, 2016

Book Tour: Interview with Tabitha Lord

Interview

1. What inspired this book?

I often joke that I write science fiction because I’ve been a Star Wars fan since I was 7 years old! But seriously, I’ve loved the sci-fi genre my entire life, so when I finally started writing fiction, I knew this is where I would start. When I want to be inspired, to play with possibilities, to ask what if, and then create brand new worlds where I can explore the answers, my imagination goes straight to sci-fi. For me, this genre is also a place to consider serious, meaningful issues in a different context, slightly removed from the real world.

With Horizon, I had two distinct parts of a story floating in my head. The first was the crash sequence. It was more basic at the time of its inception – just a young man who crash-lands on a planet, and a young woman, in some kind of trouble, who saves his life. The second part was more complex. I was playing with the idea of what would happen if one segment of an already small isolated population evolved differently (either naturally or by design) from the other. What if some had gifts that enabled them to imagine a different kind of future for themselves and their world? What if they were empathic and could sense each other’s emotions and thoughts? What if some of them could heal with their mind? How would the unchanged people feel about their neighbors? It created such an interesting premise I knew I had to find a way to make it into a story.

2. What was the most difficult part about working on this book?

From a craft point of view, I really loved writing the action scenes and some of the more intense dialogue sequences. Those came easily to me. My challenge was, and still is, world building without info dumping. I generally have to toss everything on the page and then, through the editing process, work to subtly weave in crucial information and descriptions rather than knock readers over the head with it.

3. Who is your favorite character in this book?

I definitely have a book boyfriend crush on Derek!

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

I’m a contributing writer for a blog called Book Club Babble, and I have the pleasure of interviewing some amazing authors and reviewing some fabulous books. Right now I am reading The Two-Family House, the debut novel by Lynda Cohen Loigman who I’ll be interviewing later this month. It’s fabulous. I’m reading, and thoroughly enjoying, an anthology titled B is for Broken, edited by Rhonda Parrish. And I’ve just finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty for one of my book clubs. On any given week, I usually have two or three books on my night table!

5. What are you working on now?

I’m currently drafting Horizon’s sequel. It’s about one third of the way finished, with the rest pretty well outlined. In Horizon, Caeli leaves her world just as it’s on the brink of another major uprising. In the second book, she’ll return and rejoin the resistance movement. I also have the bones of a thriller outlined, a few short stories swirling, and an idea for a historical fiction novel. Although I love writing sci-fi, I’m eager to venture into different genres.

Think Fast Questions


Sweet or spicy? Sweet – especially if it’s chocolate.

Hot or cold? Hot – I’ll take sand and sun over snow any day.

Wine or beer? Wine - although beer’s good by the beach.

Series or standalone? Series - if I love it, I want more.

Print or e-book? Print – but the e-book is good for stuff I don’t want the kids to see!

Giveaway


Tabitha Lord will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour. Make sure to follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning! Tour dates can be found here: http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2015/12/nbtm-horizon-by-tabitha-lord.html

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Book Info

Caeli Crys isn’t living—she’s surviving. On the run after the genocide of her empathic people, she witnesses a spaceship crash near her hidden camp. When she feels the injured pilot suffering from miles away, she can’t help but risk discovery to save his life.

Commander Derek Markham awakens stranded on an uncharted planet. His co-pilot is dead, his ship is in ruins, and he’s only alive because a beautiful young woman is healing him with her mind.

As Derek recovers, Caeli shares the horror of her past and her fear for the future. When Derek’s command ship, Horizon, sends rescue, Derek convinces Caeli to leave with him. But his world is as treacherous as hers—full of spies, interplanetary terrorist plots, and political intrigue. Soon the Horizon team is racing to defend an outlying planet from a deadly enemy, and Caeli’s unique skills may just give them the edge they need to save it.

Excerpt


She felt them before she heard them. The sudden wave of panic gripped Caeli so fiercely that she fell to her knees. Sweat beaded on her forehead and her body shook with another person’s cold fear. We’re losing altitude. I can’t keep her nose up. Time is running out. A voice echoed in her head, frantic. The words were strange and foreign, but she felt their intent.

A ship pierced the white clouds overhead. Frozen in place, Caeli tracked it streaking across the sky, her consciousness now fully merged with one of the desperate occupants onboard. Her breath came in short, gasping bursts. Seconds later a shattering pain exploded through her body and she screamed. The ground shook violently beneath her, and then nothing.

About the Author

Tabitha currently lives in Rhode Island, a few towns away from where she grew up. She is married, has four great kids, a spoiled Ragdoll cat, and lovable black lab. The house is noisy and the dinner table full! She holds a degree in Classics from College of the Holy Cross and taught Latin for years at a small, independent Waldorf school. She also worked in the admissions office there before turning her attention to full-time writing.

You can visit her blog at www.tabithalordauthor.com where she posts author interviews, hosts guest bloggers, and discusses some favorite topics including parenting and her writing journey. Horizon is her first novel.

10 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Mai T. said...

What genre do you rarely read, but wish you read more of?

Tabitha Lord said...

I don't read a lot of horror, but I really love the genre (in writing not film!). How about you?

Tabitha Lord said...

Thanks for hosting me today, Robyn!

patrick siu said...

I have enjoyed learning about the book. Thanks for sharing it.

Becky Richardson said...

Awesome giveaway.

Tabitha Lord said...

Thanks Patrick! I hope you'll check it out!

Tabitha Lord said...

Thank you, Becky! Best of luck!

Betty Woodrum said...

Awesome cover! The book sounds quite intriguing. Thank you for the excerpt and contest!

Echo Ishii said...

This sounds great! Love SF.