Monday, October 26, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 Prep: Tropes and You

Tropes and You: Using Tropes to Build Your Novel

What is a trope?


According to TV Tropes [i], “Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members’ minds and expectations.” In other words, a trope is a plot, character, setting, device, or pattern that the audience recognizes, like the unassuming farm boy hero, the rebellion against an oppressive government, or the wise mentor character [ii]. Tropes make stories run, and all stories have tropes. They’re kind of like the building blocks of genre fiction, or bits of basic structural code.

Why are tropes important?


In the article "Originality in Genre Fiction – An Oxymoron?" [iii] the appeal of genre fiction to readers is credited to the “reassuring repetition of central archetypes, elements, themes, or tropes. … [G]enre books are often ‘coded’ in a certain way for their readers, meaning that when you encounter a big, dark, cop hero, you expect an alpha taming story (i.e. the beauty and the beast retelling). … I would argue that this coding is part of the pleasure and satisfaction genre readers derive when they seek out genre books.”

Essentially, romance readers expect a love story and a happily ever after, mystery readers expect a crime to be solved, fantasy readers expect dragons. Okay, maybe not dragons, but the reader goes into the story with expectations he or she assumes will be met based on the genre. Tropes are the conventions within the genre. Like in the above quote, if a romance reader sees an alpha male being all alpha-y, it's expected that he's probably the hero, and that the heroine is going to have to "tame" him. (Preferably with a swift kick to the groin if he's being an alph-hole.) Tropes are appealing because of these familiar expectations. A reader is rewarded with an expected payoff like the hero and heroine finally defeating the villain and true love conquering all, or a reader can be surprised when a favorite trope is twisted in a new or interesting way (like, “OMG dude, I did NOT see that coming. That was awesome!”).

How is a trope different from a cliché?


A trope becomes a cliché when it is predictable to the point of boredom (like, “OMG dude, I saw that coming miles away. I just wasted hours of my life that I’ll never get back.”) [ii]. If tropes are bits of software code, then an author uses tropes to build an app that is familiar to the user and meets their needs, but fresh and exciting enough to warrant downloading it. It's the difference between "Yay, I'm so glad I got this app! It has everything I wanted!" and "Seriously? I have twelve apps like this already. All they did was change the font color. Total ripoff."

Examples of Popular Tropes in Romance Novels

  • Friends-to-Lovers/Best-Friends-to-Lovers: Rhonda Helms [iv] explains this one as, “[T]he girl who had a crush on her brother’s bestie for years and years, and he saw her as nothing more than a friend…until one day, VA-VA-VOOM, suddenly she comes back into his life looking SMOKING hot and he’s all, holy crap.” I've always liked this trope, because instead of two strangers falling into insta-love after just meeting, these characters have a history together.
  • Reunited Lovers: This is related to the Friends-to-Lovers trope. These characters have a history; they loved each other once, but it didn’t work out, like in Nora Roberts’s The Key of Knowledge and Face the Fire. I LOVE the Three Sisters Island trilogy, so Face the Fire has a special place in my heart. Mia is one tough cookie, and she doesn't want a damn thing to do Sam ever again. Fate, of course, has other ideas for them. Awesome ensues.
  • Enemies-to-Lovers/Hate-to-Love: In Beyond Heaving Bosoms [v], Sarah Wendell refers to this as “I don’t wanna love you. I don’t wanna like you. I can’t stop thinking about your hair, dammit!” These two characters hate each other, usually due to some past wrong, yet are extremely attracted to each other. There is much angsty hate make-out.
  • Arranged Marriage/Marriage of Convenience [vi]: This trope is often used in historical romances, and is a reader favorite. These characters think that marriage will solve all their political/financial/social problems and that joining forces will be “convenient” for both of them. Then both characters do the one thing that both of them swore they would never do: They fall in love! This is usually followed by pages and pages of angst about, "I love [character], but [he/she] will never love me in return!" So much angst.
  • Broken Marriage: This trope often happens when the Arranged/Convenient Marriage goes horribly wrong. Maybe the bride was sent away to the New World, and they’ve spent years apart. Or maybe the characters were high school sweethearts who married too young and divorced, but are reunited as older, wiser people. In the words of the philosopher P!nk, these characters are not broken, just bent, and can learn to love again.
  • Class Differences: Hoo boy. She’s a society darling, he’s the boy from the wrong side of the tracks. He’s a trust-fund baby from old money, she’s the tough businesswoman who worked her way up from nothing. She’s a princess, he’s a pauper. Clearly they can never be together, but true love conquers all. There is much rejoicing.
  • Road Trip: “It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark, and we’re wearing sunglasses.” These characters are on a journey somewhere, and they’re stuck together for the duration. Shenanigans ensue.
  • Sacrifice: In this trope, a character is dutifully sacrificing for someone they love, such as working two jobs to support a sick loved one, giving up their college fund so a sibling can go to school in his/her place, or working the family business instead of pursuing his/her dreams (think "It's A Wonderful Life"). Then along comes another character who can make everything better. Or worse. Or just make the character see that things will get better, and this too shall pass.
  • The Big Misunderstanding [v]: The Big Mis is a common trope of old school romance novels, usually historicals. The Big Mis is based on an unfortunate circumstance—a character overhears gossip about another character, or witnesses a character doing something innocent that is misinterpreted. The Big Mis is a world of bad juju, because the “conflict” it creates can usually be resolved by 5 minutes of honest conversation between the characters.
  • One-Night-Stand: Often this trope results in another trope, the Secret Baby. The characters have a steamy night of passion. Consequences ensue.
  • Sexy Protector: This trope is a standard for romantic suspense novels. One character is in trouble—on the run from the law, the mob, ninjas, aliens, zombies—and is being protected by a sexy authority figure. This can lead to the One-Night-Stand and then the Secret Baby. Romantic suspense is not really my genre, and though I can certainly understand the appeal of a sexy man (or better, woman) in uniform, but I just don't get the "we are being chased by bad guys, let's stop here for a moment of life-affirming lovin'." Anyway...
  • Boardroom Romance: Powerful execs, using office furniture in ways that the manufacturer never intended. This has seen a resurgence in popularity thanks to the recent obsession with billionaire heroes. (Yes, I am guilty of having a billionaire hero--well, Harrison's not exactly a hero.) I wonder if this has to do with the sex appeal of characters in well-tailored business attire. Rawr.

  • Why are tropes important to me?


    Because you can use tropes as inspiration in plotting your novel. Take two or three, incorporate them into your story, then make them yours. Everyone knows the hero's journey--one moment a character is in their ordinary world, then something happens to drag them out of it, drama and angst ensues, then the conflict is solved, the end. It's how you tell your character's story that makes it yours. All the nutritious world-building, all the delicious character quirks, the tasty dialogue, the twist of lime. Mix together, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, and viola! A story that your reader will devour and leave them hungry for more.

    References


    [i] Television Tropes and Idioms. Retrieved October 11, 2013 from http://tvtropes.org.
    [ii] Heine, A. (2011, June 10). Tropes vs. Clichés [Web log post]. Retrieved October 11, 2013 from http://www.adamheine.com.
    [iii] Reader, R. (2010, October 19). Originality in Genre Fiction – An Oxymoron? [Web log post]. Retrieved October 11, 2013 from http://dearauthor.com.
    [iv] Helms, R. (2012, April 23). You Tell Us: Your Favorite Story Tropes [Web log post]. Retrieved October 11, 2013 from http://carinapress.com.
    [v] Wendell, S., and Tan, C. (2009). Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches’ Guide to Romance Novels. New York: Simon & Schuster.
    [vi] Crutcher, W. (2012, October 3). Romance Tropes and Themes: Marriages of Convenience [Web log post]. Retrieved October 11, 2013 from http://www.rtbookreviews.com.

About the Author

Robyn Bachar enjoys writing stories with soul mates, swords, spaceships, vampires, and gratuitous violence against the kitchen sink. Her paranormal romance Bad Witch series, historical paranormal romance series Bad Witch: The Emily Chronicles, and spicy space opera romance trilogy Cy’ren Rising are available from Samhain Publishing. Her books have finaled twice in PRISM Contest for Published Authors, twice in the Passionate Plume Contest, and twice in the EPIC eBook Awards. As a gamer, Robyn has spent many hours rolling dice, playing rock-paper-scissors, and slaying creatures in mmorpgs.

Book Info

Falling in love has never been so deadly.

Five supernatural thrillers packed with action and romance, each introducing you to an exciting series. Honorable heroes, strong heroines and relentless suspense combine to bring you five page-turners you won’t soon forget.

Veiled Target—USA TODAY bestselling author Robin Bielman: Tess wants revenge, but thrust into an inconvenient alliance with her sexy enemy, she must trust the shifter she’s supposed to kill or risk losing everything.

Blood, Smoke and Mirrors—Robyn Bachar: Hunted by a powerful evil, exiled witch Cat must entrust her fate to the man who betrayed her. Now Lex faces the fight of his life to keep her safe. If they both survive.

Slayer’s Kiss—Cassi Carver: Fallen angels Gavin and Julian have been sent to protect Kara, but she’s determined to track down a killer, even when she realizes her target may be the creature hunting her.

Soul Bound—Anne Hope: Jace is no longer human. Something dark and powerful has taken root within him. Something that that could destroy the one woman he’d sacrifice everything to protect.

Phoenix Rising—Corrina Lawson: Everyone looks at firestarter Alec Farley as a weapon. Beth is the only one who sees a hero. But proving that could be deadly.

Warning: Contains shifters, vampires, witches, fallen angels, a firestarter and troublemaking faeries. Watch out for gratuitous violence, gripping emotion, unconventional sex, some foul language, and a love triangle that gives new meaning to the term hot-wings.

Five Past Midnight is available for only $4.99 for a limited time at AmazonBarnes and NobleAll Romance eBooks, iTunes, Kobo, and Samhain.

Excerpt


“I’ll be here as long as you need me.” Lex looked down at me, seeming sincere, and I shook my head at him.

“Don’t, Lex. You’re only here on orders. You’ll be gone and on to the next as soon as this assignment is over.”

“What if I don’t want that?”

“What if I do? I’m all for the life-saving thing, but I don’t want you in my life again.”

“Are you sure of that?”

Scowling, I took a steadying breath and prepared to launch into an explanation of the myriad reasons why I wasn’t about to go through another round of heartbreak with him, but before I could speak he leaned down and brushed a kiss across my lips.

A warm tingling suffused my body as soon as our lips met, the sort of electric reaction I usually associate with casting magic, but much, much better. He was hesitant at first, probably afraid I’d slap him or zot him with a spell, but when I didn’t object he slowly began to deepen the kiss. My knees went weak as my good sense vanished, and I slipped my arms around him to steady myself. Lex held me close as he continued to kiss me, and I leaned into him. I’d forgotten how well we fit together. He sighed, as though my lips were delicious and he savored them.

“This is a bad idea,” I murmured.

“No, this is a good idea.” Lex nudged me back toward the couch, and I sat down in a less-than-graceful flop. Next he joined me and drew me into his arms.

“Oh yeah? How?” My hormones were obviously happy to see him, but I still had a little bit of brainpower left, enough to be skeptical of the situation.

“Because letting you go was a bad idea. I don’t want to make that mistake again.” His voice was low and strained, and I wished it wasn’t so dark so I could see his expression. I sighed, a mix of old pain and new uncertainty, but he kissed me again and I stopped arguing.

I relaxed into the embrace, returning the kiss passionately. I felt better instantly—safe, warm, desired. Lex stroked my braided hair and let his hand rest at the small of my back. I ran my own hands up and down his back, debating whether or not it would be a good idea to tug his shirt off, but then I felt him unhooking my bra. My pulse jumped, and my magic decided to take that opportunity to wreak havoc on a pair of unsuspecting table lamps. With an electric sizzle followed by two sharp pops the light bulbs flashed and exploded. Startled, we jumped apart, the mood broken. We stared at each other, and I felt a guilty blush heat my face.

“Cat—” he started, and I held a hand up to stop him before he could say anything further.

No comments: