Friday, October 16, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 Prep: A Little Extra Padding by Maggie Wells

A Little Extra Padding

Autumn is in full swing now. It’s my favorite time of year—the air is crisp, the leaves are turning, and it’s finally soup season! I may have a bit of a soft spot for autumn because it allows me to indulge my natural homebody tendencies without guilt. I’ve stocked up on Cheez-Its. The freezer is full and slow cooker ready. The hubby knows what’s coming…

I’m settling in for NaNoWriMo.

Thirty glorious days of literary abandon. Every year about this time, I pluck a fresh plot bunny from the hutch, check my inner editor at the door (that’s what December is for), and prepare to get down to some serious word-making.

I never think of myself as much of a writing expert, but when Robyn said she was looking for someone who could share some NaNoWriMo tips and tricks, I knew this was one topic I could address. 2015 will be my seventh go at NaNo. I’ve completed the challenge (but not the book!) in each of my previous six attempts.

The most important thing I’ve learned over the years? A little extra padding goes a long way.

Now, I’m not talking about personal padding, though the Cheez-Its comment above probably painted a pretty accurate picture for you. An extra pillow on your favorite writing chair can’t hurt, either. But I’m really saying that you should pad your word count.

As a writer who works 40+ hours per week in addition to my publishing commitments, I know how quickly things get out of hand. I also know how easy it is to get saggy in the middle (Again, not a Cheez-Its reference, but it could apply). And damn near butt-dragging at the end.

We all know we need 1667 words per day to cross the 50k mark. But let’s be honest. It’s hard to write that much every day. There are some days when your head is fuzzy with a cold, or the laundry pile is in danger of toppling over. Or the day job zaps every last ounce of energy you had in reserve. My hubby and I both celebrate November birthdays. Our families expect us to show up for Thanksgiving.

All in all, I’d say there are at least 5-7 days out of those precious thirty when I know I won’t produce a thing. That means I need 2k+ per day. And then there are the days when the words won’t come…

The best advice I can give for successfully meeting your goal is to hit it hard at the start. Don’t stop when you reach that day’s goal. If the words are flowing, go with it. Bank them. If you work a non-writing job, use your weekends like a warrior on a mission so the weekdays are a little lighter.

Use your gung-ho. You can do this!

And if you’re one of those people motivated by the carrot, the following titles all started as NaNoWriMo projects:

About the Author

By day Margaret Ethridge/Maggie Wells is buried in spreadsheets. At night she pens tales of people tangling up the sheets. She'll tell you she's a deep down dirty girl, but you only have to scratch the surface of this mild-mannered married lady to find a naughty streak a mile wide. The product of a charming rogue and a shameless flirt, she just can't help herself...

Website: http://maggie-wells.com

Grab her latest release, GOING DEEP (Coastal Heat #1) – available now from Lyrical Shine, Kensington Publishing Corp.

Book Info

Brooke Hastings almost won a Pulitzer Prize for her hard-hitting reportage. Now she’s sitting on the story of a lifetime and wants to prove she’s not a one-hit-wonder. But in order to get the world to take notice, she’ll need the help of the one person she loves to hate—Brian Dalton.

Brian Dalton stumbled into celebrity when he landed a show on the Earth Channel. But the hunky marine biologist never forgot the serious, studious boy who left Mobile a decade before. Now back in Alabama, he’s looking for the quiet life he always wanted and hoping for a chance with the girl he always loved. When Brooke asks him to help expose some of the lingering effects of the Gulf oil disaster, Brian jumps at the chance to help preserve the place both call home…

Going Deep is available at All Romance eBooks, Amazon, Apple, Barnes and Noble, Google, Kensington, and Kobo.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Great advice, Maggie! I'm gonna jump right in this November and see what I can do! :) Best of luck to you!