Tuesday, October 6, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 Prep: Are You Ready For This by Yolanda Sfetsos

Are you ready for this?

Hi! I’d like to thank Robyn for including me in this very cool blog series.

I’ve been taking part in NaNoWriMo since 2006, and only skipped one year because I was too busy editing to concentrate on a new book. I’ve managed to ‘win’ each time I’ve taken part, and just love the act of participating in this event. I enjoy popping into the website to update my daily word count, tweet about it, and even try to blog about my progress.

I usually start thinking about what book I’m going to write early on in the year, and then change my mind closer to the date. I did the same thing this year! I was initially going to tackle a very dark futuristic stand-alone idea that’s been building inside my head for several years, but have now decided that I’ll be writing the last book in my RECAST series instead.

I always do the switcheroo. ;)

Everyone tackles a new project a different way. I’ve even tackled different books in a variety of ways. It all depends on the story and how much I know before the writing part actually begins.

So I’m going to chat a little about how I’ll be spending my NaNoWriMo Prep time this October.

Now that I know which book I’m going to spend November writing it’s time to set aside some brainstorming time. I’m not much of a plotter. I used to be a pantser, but I’m not that anymore either. I’m somewhere in between, and find myself brainstorming the book I want to write about a month beforehand. I take a lot of notes, do the required research, make sure I have the character names, and even list the main points of the story. I don’t actually have a chapter-by-chapter plan ready to go, but a pretty good idea of what’s going to happen.

Sometimes I don’t know where it’s going to end, or have a total black hole somewhere in the story that will need to be dealt with later on, but by the time I’m ready to write the story is pretty much playing out inside my head. Of course, the beauty of being a hybrid writer is that sometimes things change while I’m telling the story, which can be a lot of fun.

I’ve already picked out a composition book to jot down all of my ideas and thoughts about RECAST #6. This month I’ll be putting that notebook to good use. Not only to jot down all my initial ideas and make a list of the important events in the book, but also to write down everything that comes to mind during the actual writing process. By the time I’ve met my word count quota, the notebook is going to be filled with scribbled notes.

When it comes to getting involved in NaNoWriMo, it’s not only important to plan ahead, but to make sure that you have fun. And remember, a first draft doesn’t have to be pretty. It just has to be written. Like they say, you can’t edit a blank page… but you can certainly write yourself a 50k-word novel and polish it later.

Also, don’t forget to sign up sometime during the month!

Are you going to take part this year? If so, have you already decided on what story you’ll be writing? Either way: Good Luck!

Thanks for reading,
Yolanda

About the Author

Wife. Mother. Writer. Bibliophile. Dreamer. Animal lover. Intrigued by the supernatural. Horror freak. Zombie enthusiast. Movie & music fan. Slave to her muse.

Yolanda lives in Sydney, Australia with her awesome husband, lovely daughter, and cheeky cat.

Book Info

All it takes is a little death and mayhem to make a spook catcher’s day.


Sierra Fox has finally inherited her grandmother’s power to destroy demons, but what good is it when her werewolf boyfriend still lies in a coma? Worse, the decision she’s about to make could save him—but ruin their relationship.

If that’s not enough bad stuff on her plate, she’s got a soul to save—the soul of her closest friend, killed by the Lamia that got away.

Another untasty side dish: The Obscurus refuse to give up their relentless pursuit, and they’ve upped the ante. Mace is dead set on blowing up the Spook Catcher Council Tower, and the blowback will have devastating effects on Sydney and for Sierra. At least these demon-obsessed freaks aren’t counting on Sierra having a Goddess and a trusty demonic conduit as backup.

All of this leads to a one-way ride into the abandoned part of town, where the Obscurus plan to summon Legion. With her demon hunter friend by her side, Sierra prepares for the final battle…because even she knows this will be The End.

Warning: Phantasms, wraiths, orbs, demons, all guaranteed to ruin any spook catcher’s day. But you can always count on werewolves, land spirits, and a Goddess. Beware of explosions, demonic obsessions, and the battle that will tip the scales and change Sydney forever.

A STITCH ON TIME is now available in print and ebook from Samhain Publishing.

No comments: