Interview1. What flavor is your writing?
I write what I like to read…speculative/paranormal fiction. Anything having to do with ghosts, monsters, the fae, and in the case of Lost Souls—Angels and Demons— is my cup of tea. I’m inspired by heavy hitters like Harry Potter and Twilight; I like my mythology anchored in reality and then letting it spiral off into some crazy world. I love that juxtaposition.
2. If this book was made into a movie, who would you cast to play the characters?
This question is surprisingly challenging for me, in that I’m really uncomfortable assigning faces to my Big 3 (Christa, Daniel, and Alden). I have my partner/lover/foil, Steve, buzzing in my ear as I write this—“COP OUT!”—but it’s true! One of the cover art options that came back for the book was very classic Harlequin romance; with 3 beautiful people strapped across the front. I about died—from it being both so amazing and horrifying at the same time, and also from this strong desire to let the reader decide for themselves what these people look like. Feels very private. Maybe there will come a magical day when my book is actually turned into a movie and then there can be much discussion over casting and who should play who…and everyone can take turns being disgusted/delighted..and we’ll have so much fun playing then. Not today.
BUT…that doesn’t mean I can’t give you something! The supporting characters are totally up for grabs. Here are a few of my favorites:
- The Agent: played by J. Wendell Pierce: You may not know this man’s name- but he is EVERYWHERE. Tons of big movies like Ray and Selma…and also The Wire. He is an amazing actor and once you see him, he sticks in your brain. He’s an automatic answer.
- Julie Nichols, Christa’s mother: played by Rosanna Arquette. One of Hollywood’s favorite strawberry blondes— if this movie were to happen…it needs an Arquette. Case closed. She’s just…perfect.
- Serpentine: played by Conrad Ricamora: A current TV crush of mine…you would recognize this sexy sweetie from ABC’s How to Get Away with Murder as Connor Walsh’s adorable techie boyfriend, Oliver. A shoe-in to play Serpentine, Hell’s own maniacal operating system. Dial 3 to connect!
- Jodie Phan, Christa’s BFF: played by Lane Kim…I mean…Keiko Agena: Because, yeah. Who else?
The Epilogue…it had me fangirling myself. I’m not going to say anymore.
4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban—I re-read the whole series every Fall—and a YA historical fiction called Searching for Juliette by my friend and teacher Marilyn Ludwig.
5. What are you working on now?
Hellbound: Book 2 of the Lost Souls Trilogy! Loving every minute of it.
- Website: http://bonnechancebooks.blogspot.com
- Twitter: @katie_jaros
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katie.jacobsonjaros
Now caught in the middle of a life-long rivalry between a classic-rock loving Guardian Angel and a Demonic club promoter, Christa won’t just need to use her wits to survive… she’ll need them to save her mother’s soul.
Lost Souls takes you on a journey through a world where Guardian Angels masquerade as the homeless and business-savvy Demons trade souls like they're on the NYSE.
Full of romance, horror, and food trucks; Lost Souls is fun at its most Divine.
Lost Souls is now available at Amazon.
About the Author
Katie Jaros has an obsession for the mysterious and beautiful. When she’s not writing, she’s busy chasing after one of her Valkyrie-like children or secret-eating all the Twizzlers. She lives in Seattle with her family.