Wednesday, October 21, 2015

5 Past Midnight: Interview with Cassi Carver

Interview

1. What flavor is your writing?

The Shadow Slayers series is super spicy! It was an experiment blending urban fantasy and erotica in book one, Slayer’s Kiss. I’d say book two and three in the trilogy tend toward paranormal romance. They’re still super sexy, but the heroine’s relationships get deeper, more emotional, and more committed as the series progresses.

2. If this book was made into a movie, who would you cast to play the characters?

Great question! I’d choose Chris Hemsworth for Gavin and Aidan Turner (of Poldark) for Julian…and that’s if Aidan Turner could be made to look half Native American. LOL For the part of Kara, I’d choose…ME! I look nothing like her and have none of her ass-kicking skills, but if I was acting next to Chris and Aidan, I’d try really hard—especially on the sexy parts!!!

3. What is your favorite scene in Slayer’s Kiss?

Slayer’s Kiss has a slightly tragic, very epic ending. One hero may meet his end and the other may declare his devotion to the heroine. That has to be my favorite part of the whole novel! I cry every time I read it. The great part is that the series is already completed so readers don’t have to wait to find out how it turns out. My books and series are always happy in the end!

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

The last series I read that really blew my mind was Stacia Kane’s Downside Ghosts. I’m still waiting for book six to come out next year. It’s been delayed, so I’ve been counting down the months.

5. What are you working on now?

Currently, I’m working on a brand new paranormal romance series! This one is set just a little in the future after a catastrophic event that affects the entire world’s population. I love building new realities with new rules and making everything work together cohesively. I love populating my series with characters that you’ll want to meet in future books, and I adore threads that twine through the whole series, so as one book’s crisis is solved, the overarching intrigue just grows deeper.

Links

Book Blurb

Slayer's Kiss (Shadow Slayers Book 1)

Kara Reed is a supernatural failure. But where her magic falls short, her fists get the job done. The criminal element doesn’t stand a chance once she hits San Diego’s dark streets.

When two smoking-hot tenants move in next door, she thinks her love life might finally be heating up. Just being near Gavin and Julian is enough to make her want to offer her body on a platter.

Gavin and Julian know it’s only a matter of time before the truth comes out. They’re fallen angels sent to watch over the king’s daughter, one of the last females of her kind. Trouble is, she doesn’t seem to think she needs watching—unless they’re watching her shimmy out of her clothes.

No matter how tempting her guardians, Kara’s not about to let anything stop her from tracking down a sadistic killer who carves into his victims and leaves them for dead. Even when she realizes her target may be the very scourge of heaven from which her angels swore to protect her…

Five Past Midnight is available for only $4.99 for a limited time at AmazonBarnes and NobleAll Romance eBooks, iTunes, Kobo, and Samhain.

Excerpt

After a quick handshake, just a fleeting grasp of one wrist to another, Gavin broke away from the other man and came through the door. His gaze arrowed through the crush of bodies and landed squarely on Kara.

Her mouth went dry. Tha-thump. Tha-thump. Her heart throttled from zero to sixty in one glance, hammering as if she’d run a hundred miles through the desert.

But he was the oasis she’d been waiting for.

Gavin reached the bar, pulled out a stool and settled himself on the brown vinyl perch.

“Miss Reed.” He tipped his chin in greeting. His suit jacket was draped across one knee, leaving him in slacks and a white-collared shirt with the first button undone. With the way the fabric stretched around his biceps, he didn’t look like any businessman she’d ever met.

Her mind raced. Maybe he’d thought through her unspoken offer. Maybe she wasn’t the only one who’d felt the connection. Her body flushed, but not in embarrassment this time—this was simply blood rushing to all her important parts.

She nodded back and smiled, trying not to look as smug as she felt. “You found me.”

“I did. It must be nice working so close to home.”

“Yeah. It’s not a bad gig.” She wanted to laugh. It was clear he had something to say, and she already knew what it was going to be. Mutual attraction this strong couldn’t be denied. She wasn’t going to play hard to get just to get even with him. He might deserve it, but that wasn’t her style. She rarely wanted a man, but when she did, she let him know flat-out. “I’m glad you rethought my offer.”

He clasped his hands on the bar before him. “It’s the key.”

She put down the bottle in her hand and cocked her head. “What’s the key?”

“The reason I’m here.”

“Huh? I’m confused.” Confused and sinking like that rock in the pit of her stomach.

Gavin looked like he’d swallowed a bug. “The key doesn’t work.”

The blood drained from Kara’s face. “Oh…you’re not here to see…me.” She was the world’s biggest jackass. Such an ass, in fact, she was surprised she hadn’t brayed the soft, mortified words from between big blocky teeth.

“Technically, I am here to see you. The key doesn’t fit. I can’t move in my things until you open the door.”

She turned her back on him under the pretense of getting another bottle of tequila from the low storage cupboard, but she needed a minute to get herself under control. She rummaged around, shifting bottles, until she thought she could speak without her lips quivering.

“Take this for your trouble.” She handed him a shot of their best tequila. “I’m so sorry. I don’t know what could have happened—they’re all numbered. But don’t worry. I have a set of master keys. As soon as I get off, I can let you in.” She swabbed the counter near him with shaking hands.

“Kara.” He reached out and covered her hand with his. “It’s all right. I waited weeks for that apartment. A couple more hours aren’t going to kill me.”

About the Author

Cassi Carver writes spicy urban fantasy, contemporary romance, and paranormal romance. She lives in sunny Southern California with two dogs, four kids, varying numbers of pet chickens and tropical fish...and one very patient husband.

When Cassi isn't busy plotting or writing, she enjoys reading, gardening, horseback riding, spending time with family and friends, caring for pets, volunteering at the local animal shelter, drinking copious amounts of Diet Dr. Pepper, and watching sappy movies that deliver reliably happy endings.

No comments: