Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Author Tuesday: Interview with Diane Burton

Interview

1. What flavor is your writing?

Action-packed adventure. If you're asking about heat level, I'd say sensual, but not too explicit.

2. If The Protector was made into a movie, who would you cast to play the characters?

For Rissa: Paula Patton (from MI3: Ghost Protocol) if she were about three inches taller; she can kick butt. For Dillan, Chris Pratt (from Guardians of the Galaxy) funny, self-effacing, can kick butt when necessary.

3. What is your favorite scene in The Protector?

When Dillan takes Rissa on vacation (to get her away from danger) to a rainforest. They go up above the canopy (in harnesses) and she discovers how much fun it is to swing from platform to platform and use a zipline. It shows a different side of the super-serious, never-had-fun Rissa. (I included that scene as the excerpt for this post.)

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

I have so many books in my TBR pile (actually, on my Kindle) I'll have to live another 40 years or more to finish. But I'll keep adding more books so maybe I'll have to live forever. LOL I just finished A Killer Past by Maris Soule. What an edge-of-your-seat thriller about a 74-year-old kick-butt heroine with a secret past. Next up is Reunited (Nogiku series) by S.J. Pajonas. It's Japanese-culture post-apocalypse with hope. I finished the first two in the series and I'm hooked. And then there's . . . Too many books, so little time.

5. What are you working on now?

The second book in my Alex O'Hara novels, called The Case of the Fabulous Fiancé. Alex is a (female) P.I. who is always getting into scrapes. She lives in a fictitious Lake Michigan resort town (like I do) and I'm having a great time including some of my favorite places for the setting. Of course, her cohort in crime (so to speak) is to-die-for Nick Palzetti, who comes in and out of her life. It will come out in October.

The book that came out last week is the third book in my Outer Rim series. Like the others in the series, it's a stand-alone book with recurring characters. You don't have to read the other books (although I hope you will) to enjoy this one. The Protector takes place on the frontier of space and features a kick-butt heroine and the man who is smart enough to love her. (Have you noticed how often I say "kick-butt"? I guess it's because that's the kind of heroine I love.)

Links

You can find out more about Diane at these links:

Book Blurb

The Protector (An Outer Rim Novel)

After tavern owner Rissa Dix rescues two girls from a slave ship, she must rally the townsfolk to prevent traffickers from raiding the frontier colony. She’s met with apathy and disbelief. Because she lost her own baby to traffickers, she’s determined that no other mother will suffer the same heartache. Industrialist heir Dillan Rusteran aids her in rescuing more children. Little do they know they’re about to tangle with a trafficking ring that puts Rissa in danger. Dillan’s loved her for years despite her claim she’s too old for him. As they fight the traffickers, will she finally see him in a new light?

The Protector is available at Amazon ~ Kobo ~ Smashwords ~ Barnes and Noble ~ iTunes.

Excerpt

When the guide demonstrated how they were to go up, Rissa gaped at Dillan in panic. “No way.”

“You can do it, sweetheart. I’ll be right with you.” He helped her into the harness then tightened the straps around her upper thighs.

“Watch it, Rusteran.”

He grinned. “Oh, I am.”

She swatted his shoulder. “I meant watch your hands. No funny business.”

“Wouldn’t think of it.”

The guide checked both their harnesses then showed Rissa how to rise. After a couple of hesitant starts, she quickly got the hang of it and soon they reached the platform. As she looked around, across the top of the canopy, her eyes widened in delight.

“I can’t believe what you can see up here. Oh. My. Stars.”

“Thought you might like it.”

“Like it. I love it. Thank you so much for bringing me up here.”

“There’s more to see,” the guide said. “Follow me.” He pushed off the platform, then using the zip-line, sailed across to another platform a hundred meters away.

Again, Rissa looked at Dillan in panic. She shook her head. “I can’t.”

“Sure you can. Go.” He pushed her off the platform.

“You are a bas-tard.” She screamed for the first ten meters then began to laugh. The guide caught her at the next platform. As soon as Dillan caught up, she grabbed his arm. “I want to do it again.”

Her eyes sparkling with delight filled him with joy.

They rode the cable for several more loops until the guide said it was time to go down. He reminded Rissa how to use the brake.

She turned to Dillan. “How fast can I go?”

“As fast as you want.” He gave her a smacking kiss. “Go for it, sweetheart.”

She watched the guide zip down.

“Uh, I’m not sure I can go that fast.”

“You know how to use the brake. The guide will catch you at the bottom.”

After a tentative start and stop, she looked up at him. “Here goes.” She scrunched her eyes shut then let go of the brake.

Her scream scared all the birds out of the trees.

The guide was helping her out of the harness when Dillan zipped down. As soon as he landed, she flung her arms around his neck. “That was so exciting. I thought my heart would fly out of my chest. Can we do it again?”

About the Author

Diane Burton combines her love of mystery, adventure, science fiction and romance into writing romantic fiction. Besides the science fiction romance Switched and Outer Rim series, she is the author of One Red Shoe, a romantic suspense, and The Case of the Bygone Brother, a PI mystery. She is also a contributor to the anthology How I Met My Husband. Diane and her husband live in Michigan. They have two children and three grandchildren.

For more info and excerpts from her books, visit Diane’s website: http://www.dianeburton.com.

1 comment:

Diane Burton said...

Robyn, thanks so much for having me here. I enjoyed your interview.