Thursday, July 16, 2015

Author Thursday: Interview with Jane S. Morrisey

Today's guest is paranormal romance author Jane S. Morrisey, and she's talking about Circle of Dreams.


1. What flavor is your writing?

I like to think of flavor in terms of genre and tone. I’m squarely in the paranormal romance genre, which I love. One thing I love about writing romance is that the story rests in that first blush of connection, that fun, flirty place where lust and pheromones drive us into opening up in ways we don’t in other places in our lives. In normal life, this can be an incredible, crazy and titillating time. Then add in a little magic, some psychic powers and a world where the rules are a bit different than ours and there is so much fun to be had. In the paranormal, we have a free pass to explore the fantastical part of that spark of connection amplified in all kinds of interesting ways. I like to play with the edges of what that connection can be.

In terms of tone, I like to write in multiple points of view, which can be tricky. I’ve had many conversations with my editor about it and am still trying to work out the best way to do this. As a reader, I love being able to get inside the heads of different characters. It makes me feel like I can get up close and intimate with the heart beat of the story and the breath of the characters. But lest that be too serious, I also try to interject humor where appropriate and lightness to juxtapose the often perilous situations in which my characters find themselves.

2. If your book was made into a move, who would you cast to play the characters?

Bradley Cooper would make a smashing hero out of shape shifting Cole who has to fight both for his life and his heroine’s. Bri, would be well portrayed by Scarlet Johansson. She is tough, smart and takes everything I’ve thrown at her in stride; emerging even stronger on the other side.

3. What is your favorite scene in Circle of Dreams?

Without giving too much away, one of my favorite scenes, is when Bri and Cole are forced to strike out on their own through an unforgiving forest with the enemy hot on their trail. Not only does this scene, or series of scenes, allow them to grow closer emotionally, but it also highlights their unique and compatible strengths.

4. What are you reading now?

I am reading Shards of Hope by Nalani Singh. This is the latest in her Psy-Changling Series. I cannot get enough of this series, or really any book that she has written.

5. What are you working on now?

I’m currently working on editing the third book in the Quytel Series, Circle of the Pack, and starting the fifth book.

You can find out more about Jane at these links:
Leader of an elite psychic team, Cole Courtland is a shape-shifting wolf with a deep connection to the power of the Earth. His investigation of a string of mysterious murders throws him into the dangerous world of the Quytel and leads him straight to Brianna Doherty’s door. Bri is plagued by vicious nightmares of death and pain that leave her wondering about her own history.

When her home is under siege, an enigmatic stranger appears out of nowhere to save her. Thrown together in a tangle of desire and danger, they are pulled deeper into the secretive world of the Quytel, an ancient order charged with maintaining the balance of psychic and paranormal power on earth. Staying one step ahead of those who would destroy them, they struggle to unravel the truth of Bri’s past and her family legacy. As her relationship with Cole grows stronger, the reality of who Bri is threatens to tear them apart.

Circle of Dreams is now available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes, Kobo, ARe, and Smashwords. View the Circle of Dreams book trailer.
I love romance, magic, and the poetry of words. Even as a child I wanted to be a writer. When I was eleven, a friend and I wrote a little book of short stories about mermaids that we illustrated ourselves. It was quite a thriller, as you might imagine. When I was a teenager I loved to read poetry and fantasize about being a writer, but I had no idea what to write. In college I finally took a creative writing class and embarked on my first romance story…somehow it turned into a murder mystery which freaked me out a little and I put writing on hold for about ten years. But that little voice in the back of my mind wouldn’t let me forget my dream, although at the time it felt more like a nagging urge.

Starting my first novel was rough going. It took a while to wrangle myself into a writing schedule and build enough confidence to trust the story and my characters, but when I hit my stride it was a thing of beauty. Embarking on this strange journey has led me into other worlds and on wild adventures. It took many editors and several conversations with friends and family, and a particularly memorable bit of coaxing from a dear friend, before I felt ready to share my stories. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I’ve loved writing them.

No comments: