Thursday, June 4, 2015

Author Thursday: Interview with Blythe Gifford

My guest today is the super fabulous Blythe Gifford, and she's talking about her new release Whispers at Court.

First, I think we all need to pause and take a moment to appreciate this gorgeous cover:
Soooooo pretty. The details! The tiny flowers! THE DRESS, PEOPLE! Love it.

You may now proceed with our regularly scheduled interview. ;)

1. What flavor is your writing?

Flavor? What an interesting question! Perhaps dark chocolate. Complex, rich, and not too sweet. Maybe with a hint of salt. (Since I write medieval romance, this is not historically accurate, but tasty, nevertheless.)

2. If this book were made into a movie, who would you cast to play the characters?

In this case, I really did use an actress as inspiration for Lady Cecily: Olivia Wilde. There was a particular shot of her in a fashion magazine that emphasized her wide eyes and square jaw. Lovely and strong. For the hero, I didn’t use an actor, but adapted the look of Nacho Figueras, a polo player from Argentina, who’s the face of the Ralph Lauren Polo fragrance ads. I made my hero fair instead of dark, but kept the strong cheekbones and the rogue curls.

3. What is your favorite scene in WHISPERS AT COURT?

Impossible to say! And it is difficult to describe or explain a scene in isolation without understanding how it fits into the story. That said, I love a scene near the end of the book. The heroine and hero are alone together, atop what we now know as the “White Cliffs of Dover.” The heroine makes a confession and the hero makes a choice… Sigh. I hope the readers love it as much as I do.

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

I just came back from a few days’ vacation in Key West. While I was there, I visited the Hemingway house and that inspired me to pick up his TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, which is about as far from a medieval romance as you can get!

5. What are you working on now?

I’ve several projects that are calling me and I haven’t committed to one yet. In addition to another Royal Wedding story, I’m also looking at a few wildly different time periods.

You can find out more about Blythe at these links:
Lady Cecily scorns the French hostages held at court. Treated as honoured guests, the men play at love games – and Cecily fears that her mistress, the Princess, might be disgraced.

War-weary chevalier Marc de Marcel wants only to return home. Uncertain whether his ransom will ever be paid, he makes an unlikely alliance with enticing fire and ice Cecily. He’ll help her keep the Princess safe from ruin if she’ll help him escape. A pact which could lead them into a scandal all their own...

Whispers at Court is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Harlequin, iTunes, and Kobo.

Blythe Gifford writes historical romances set primarily in in England and on the Scottish Borders, most incorporating real historical events and characters. The Chicago Tribune has called her work “the perfect balance between history and romance.”

2 comments:

Tory Ferrera said...

I love Blythe's description of the "flavor" of her writing, and having enjoyed many of her books, would say she nailed it! Can't wait to read this one!

Elizabeth Harmon said...

Nacho! I've used him for inspiration too. :) So nice to have a new medieval to look forward to, with a really handsome hero.