Thursday, April 23, 2015

Author Thursday: Interview with Debra St. John

My guest today is Debra St. John, and she's talking about One Great Night. This sounds like a winner if your catnip is the friends-to-lovers trope, and I completely agree with Debra's "Who says science can't be sexy?!" statement. Because it is!

Enjoy!

1. What flavor is your writing?

My writing is definitely spicy. I don’t shy away from intimate details in my love scenes, but I do stop quite short of erotica. I write fully-consummated love scenes – my full-length novels always have more than one – but don’t get too explicit and graphic with my details. I tend to lean toward the sensual side of things. That said, my books also have a coziness to them. Most are set in small towns and have a ‘country’ flavor. Lots of boots, jeans, cowboy hats, and pick-up trucks for my heroes.

2. If this book was made into a movie, who would you cast to play the characters?

Jason, my hero, would be played by Ryan Kwanten. (He played Jason Stackhouse in HBO’s “True Blood”.) For Chloe, I’d have to get my time machine out (to go back to about the mid-point in the sitcom) and have Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe from FRIENDS) play her. In fact, when I was filling out the Cover Information Sheet for this book, I used those two actors as reference for the cover artist, and she nailed it!

3. What is your favorite scene in One Great Night?

Yikes, that’s a tough one. I can only pick one? I really enjoyed writing this book, so a lot of scenes are my favorites. Hmn?...I guess if I really had to choose only one, I'd have to go with the scene where Chloe and Jason are in his classroom (He's a high school science teacher.) and he's demonstrating in a very hands-on, intimate way how her responses to him, and his to her, are all scientifically based in chemistry, physiology, biology, etc. I'm a total book/school nerd who loves school and learning, so this was a fun scene to write. Who says science can't be sexy?!

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

Right now I’m in the middle of a reread (Yes, I’m one of those people.) of the Twilight series. I have the latest book (Full Throttle) in Julie Ann Walker’s Black Knights series saved to be my first read of summer in a month or so. It came out a while ago, but I like saving those for ‘special’ reads, because once I start, I know I won't be able to put it down!

5. What are you working on now?

Right now I’m waiting on the pre-galley of Christmas at The Corral, the first in a set of holiday spin-off stories set at the bar where my three-book Corral series takes place. I have a few more holiday stories I’d like to add to the collection. I also have the idea for another (unrelated) series in my head, but I’m currently working on a story tentatively titled “The Cowboy and the Princess”. The idea for this one came to me out of the blue one day, and I couldn’t help but sit down and start to write. I’m about three chapters in so far. It was one of those things where I had to follow my muse, which surprised the heck out of me with the idea for this story.

You can find out more about Debra at these links:
She's ready, he's not; it's a battle of the sexes with a twist.

At twenty-seven, Chloe Harris has never had a night of really great sex. Before she turns thirty she wants to check that particular item off of her bucket list. She's known Jason her whole life. More importantly, she trusts him. Who better to help her with her plan?

Call him a bit old-fashioned, but Jason Williams has never had a one-night stand. And he's not about to start with his best friend's baby sister. To save Chloe from herself, he'll pretend to go along with her crazy scheme. But what happens when the charade becomes all too real? For his libido and his heart.

One Great Night is available at The Wild Rose Press, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble.
Debra St. John has been reading and writing romance since high school. She always dreamed about publishing a romance novel some day. Her dream came true when she started writing sultry contemporary romance with sexy heroes and spunky heroines for The Wild Rose Press. Although she's a country gal at heart, she lives in a suburb of Chicago with her husband, who is her real life hero.

She is the author of The Corral Series, which includes her debut release, This Time for Always, a Champagne Rose and Rosebud bestseller at The Wild Rose Press. This Can't Be Love and This Feels Like Home complete the series.

Her holiday stories are A Christmas to Remember, An Unexpected Blessing (Thanksgiving), and The Vampire and the Vixen for Halloween. One Great Night, Family Secrets, and Wild Wedding Weekend round out her bookshelf.

9 comments:

Ana Morgan said...

Great interview questions and answers!
Matching characters with personalities really makes them come alive, and your choices are interesting

Jennifer Wilck said...

I love the two actors you think represent your characters. I can totally picture them!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Robyn,

Thanks so much for having me here today! It's always nice to get the chance to chat about my books.

Debra St. John said...

Thanks, Ana. Character personalities can be tricky. I always love it when I finally feel I 'know' them!

Debra St. John said...

Jen, from the start Jason totally reminded me of Ryan, so it was a no-brainer. Chloe was a bit trickier to nail down with a particular actress.

Robyn Bachar said...

Thanks for being here today, Deb! :)

Paula Martin said...

Great interview, Debra. Love your description of your love scenes, as that's the way I would also describe mine.
And how good to get an idea out of the blue like that! Good luck with it.

Debra St. John said...

Hi Paula,

I'm all for going with an idea when it comes upon me! :)

Morgan Mandel said...

This was a cute book. I enjoyed reading it!4