Thursday, November 6, 2014

Author Thursday: Interview with Charlie Cochrane

My guest today is author Charlie Cochrane, who has my new favorite answer to the first question. :) Enjoy!


1. What flavor is your writing? (Contemporary? Historical? Spicy? Action? Space odyssey? Ninjas? All of the above?)

Not all, but some. I write mysteries (historical and contemporary) with a distinct dash of slash – think Agatha Christie meets Oscar Wilde – and gay romances (of all sorts) with a pinch of spice. I don’t write full on sex scenes (they remind me too much of stuffing the Christmas turkey) but I do like to show the emotional side of a physical relationship.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

Any and everywhere. A piece of music can make a storyline appear in my head, as can a chance viewing of something in the street. I’m a great people watcher – a ten second interaction I witnessed in a rugby club car park turned into a whole novella about a cross dressing actor and a rugby playing architect.

3. What is your favorite thing about being an author?

Getting e-mails from people who’ve read my books and enjoyed them. Especially when they find something in the stories or characters which I didn’t realize I’d put there. It’s interesting how readers notice things; two separate people have pointed out how one of my leading men (not in this book) had Asperger’s syndrome. They both should know, so I have to assume they’re right although I hadn’t realised the fact up to that point. I must have written that particular character from observation, without appreciating how much I’d assimilated along the way.

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

A book about Mallory and Irvine, who may or may not have reached the top of Everest in 1924. They died in the attempt, although Mallory’s body was located a few years ago. He’s quite a hero of mine – gallant, brave, slightly scatty, gorgeous, complex, adorable, and seemingly fated to lose his life on that mountain. I’d better move on to the next question before I start tearing up…

5. What are you working on now?

The twelfth book in the Cambridge Fellows Mysteries series, which will be out from Riptide next year – after book 11 and the relaunched books 9 and 10. I’m into the denouement of the mystery and just have to put a final twist or two into the tale.

You can find out more about Charlie at these links:
Tea and sympathy have never been so deadly.

Schoolteacher Adam Matthews just wants to help select a new headteacher and go home. The governors at Lindenshaw St Crispin’s have already failed miserably at finding the right candidate, so it’s make or break this second time round. But when one of the applicants is found strangled in the school, what should have been a straightforward decision turns tempestuous as a flash flood in their small English village.

Inspector Robin Bright isn’t thrilled to be back at St. Crispin’s. Memories of his days there are foul enough without tossing in a complicated murder case. And that handsome young teacher has him reminding himself not to fraternize with a witness. But it’s not long before Robin is relying on Adam for more than just his testimony.

As secrets amongst the governors emerge and a second person turns up dead, Robin needs to focus less on Adam and more on his investigation. But there are too many suspects, too many lies, and too many loose ends. Before they know it, Robin and Adam are fighting for their lives and their hearts.

3 comments:

Charlie Cochrane said...

Thanks for hosting me, Robyn!

Helena said...

Now I'm going to have to work out which character has Asperger's!

The Best Corpse .. is on pre-order.

Charlie Cochrane said...

Thanks, Helena.

I'll give you a clue in re the Asperger's - somebody in an historical.