Thursday, October 16, 2014

Author Thursday: Interview with Mary Jo Burke

Today's guest is fantasy and paranormal romance author Mary Jo Burke. She's talking about her fantasy romance Mother Nature's Man, and I'm glad to have her here. :) (How gorgeous is that cover? I love it.) (And I'm so picking up a copy of All Hours Trading.)


1. What flavor is your writing? (Contemporary? Paranormal? Spicy? Action? Space odyssey? Ninjas? All of the above?)

I write whatever pops into my head, I let the story find the genre later. My paranormal book, All Hours Trading, features a centuries old vampire and his financial advisor lady love. Camelot meets Wall Street. It started as a contemporary romance. My fantasy book, Mother Nature’s Man focuses on Mother Nature’s search for a mate. She gets blamed for so much misery in the world, I decided she be able to tell her side and fall in love. This one started as an historical romance. I like to add humor to my stories because being able to laugh together makes life sweeter.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

I love to read and watch movies, and then rewrite them in my mind. I change endings and rearrange characters and settings.

3. What is your favorite thing about being an author?

Tapping into my imagination, asking what if and then watching what happens. Daydreaming is my favorite hobby. Talking with other writers and hearing from readers are true bonuses.

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

Tracey Devlyn’s Night Storm, Dyanne Davis’ Frog Prince, Sonali Dev’s A Bollywood Affair, and Wendy Byrne’s Hard to Kill.

5. What are you working on now?

I have a short story in a Christmas anthology. Cozy Christmas Capers includes The Holiday Inside Job and will be available in November. I have two books coming out early next year. Cupid’s Busted Arrow follows the rekindling of young love. Nelly Steeple, aka Cupid, has dragged the happy couple back together. She’s ready to retire and Giselle Baylor’s and Matt Hall’s nuptials are blocking her way to a perfect record. Nelly needs a wedding by the end of the year or she has to sign up for another century of nudging couples into marital bliss. If she sees one more mermaid wedding dress or eats one more chicken Kiev, she’ll hurl. After a Shakespearean themed party, tattoo sightings, a secret child, physical therapy, and shots of tequila, Giselle and Matt are no closer to the altar. The nuclear option may be deployed once Nelly has the right coordinates to cure heartbreak and bruised feelings.

In Spicing Up Trouble, a shy chef meets a reclusive artist. With the help and hinder of her sisters, his father, Thanksgiving, and the paparazzi, they fall in love. Alexia Hale works as a test kitchen writer for the Chicago News. She is given the opportunity to interview the world renowned artist, Benjamin Nance Cobb. To get it, Alexia has to pose nude for Ben. She does and finds a common thread with him: his late mother’s storybooks. One photograph secretly taken proclaims Alexia to be Ben’s fiancĂ©e. His father isn’t pleased, her sisters are shocked, and Alexia is hounded by the press. Dating a celebrity has its challenges and rewards. Which one will outweigh the other?

You can find out more about Mary Jo at these links:
Mother Nature’s Man

I, Siobhan Bolyn, Goddess of the Flame and Keeper of the Land and Water, must give birth to the next goddess before my three hundredth birthday. My mate must be the preordained champion, so not just any man will do. But where can I find a champion in this crazy world?

When Niall Calhoun walks into my life, he’s everything I’ve hoped for. Tall, dark, sweet, and gorgeous: the true four food groups. A mere touch of his hand and my libido roars to life. But is he champion material?

Meanwhile, dark forces are plotting against me and calling my abilities into question. I’ve got to battle forest fires, soothe the oceans, appease my mother, turn Niall into Mr. Exactly Right, and have a baby in the next year. Can a goddess and her champion handle all that and still find time to fall in love?

7 comments:

Mary Jo Burke said...

Robyn, thanks for inviting me to your fun blog!

F. D. Davis said...

Robyn, great interview with Mary Jo.

Mary Jo, your answers to Robyn's questions are as creative as the stories you weave. I love the way your mind works. You are one of my favorite authors and definitely one of my favorite people.

Here's to your continued success

Mary Jo Burke said...

Dyanne is a generous person and a glorious writer!

Robyn Bachar said...

I just picked up "All Hours Trading", and I can't wait to read it. :)

Mary Jo Burke said...

Thanks Robyn!!

Tracey Devlyn said...

Great interview, Robyn and Mary Jo! I had the pleasure of reading Cupid's Busted Arrow--a lot of fun!

Mary Jo Burke said...

Thanks Tracey! Your NEXUS series is excellent!!