Monday, June 9, 2014

My Writing Process--Blog Tour

Today I'm taking part in the My Writing Process Blog Tour. (Really it's more of a hop than a tour.) Anyway, as you may have guessed from the title, this blog tour focuses on authors answering questions about their writing process. My friend and RWA chapter member Rena Koontz posted her entry last week. You can check it out here: http://www.renakoontz.wordpress.com/renas-ramblings.

1. What am I working on?

At the moment I'm finishing up my March 2015 release, Bite Me. It's my first stand-alone novel. (I swear, it's not a series this time!) It's a F/F/M menage romance set in post-zombie-apocalypse Chicago. It's got a snarky heroine, a tough-cop heroine, and a pretty, angsty vampire hero. With lots of humor, action, steamy sex scenes, and epic battles against zombies, evil vampires, and helicopters.

I am also working on a super-secret project with BFF Diana. I can't tell you about it, because it's super secret.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

It doesn't? I'm known for my humor, but I write in my sub-genres because I love working with the tropes in those genres. Rough-and-tumble werewolves, snarky witches, angsty vampires, tough-as-nails spaceship captains, scarred veteran space marines. Yup. I love all these things, plus swords, magic, and laser guns. :-)

3. Why do I write what I do?

Because the voices in my head don't leave me alone until I get them down onto the page. My heroine Patience in Fire in the Blood was like that. She showed up in my mind while I was taking a shower and announced, "Good. Bad. I'm the girl with the demon." And then she refused to leave until I had her story plotted out.

4. How does your writing process work?

It starts with an idea--a line like Patience's above, or a single scene. Blood, Smoke and Mirrors started with the scene of Cat showing up at the cafe to get bad news from her boss, but I had no idea what that news was at first, only that someone was dead. As I wrote it, I figured out who had died, why, and how it affected Cat.

After a few years of doing NaNoWriMo I started outlining my books beforehand, because knowing what comes next helps me to move forward when I'm stuck on a scene. I'll leave the part I'm stuck on in brackets, like [fight scene here], and come back to it when I'm ready to write it.

Next week the tour continues with:

Yolanda Sfetsos. Wife. Mother. Writer. Bibliophile. Dreamer. Animal lover. Intrigued by the supernatural. Horror freak. Zombie enthusiast. Movie & music fan. Slave to her muse. Yolanda lives in Sydney, Australia with her awesome husband, lovely daughter, and cheeky cat. You can visit her website or chat to her on Twitter.

Keith Melton. Keith Melton is a fantasy writer and part time were-sloth.

No comments: