Thursday, June 26, 2014

Author Thursday: Interview with Victoria H. Smith


As I have mentioned before, I love being an RWA member because I get to meet and hang out with fabulous authors. Here's a picture from the 2012 Chicago-North Spring Fling with three of my local chapter members, including the very awesome Victoria H. Smith. (Victoria is between me and BFF Diana. It was Victoria's first conference. We drove, and she survived me and Diana singing in the car.)

I'm thrilled to have Victoria as my guest today, and she's talking about her new release Found by You. It's out now, people! Go forth and buy it! ;)


1. What flavor is your writing? (Contemporary? Spicy? Action? Space odyssey? Ninjas? All of the above?)

I think it’s safe to say I’ve definitely touched on a lot of different flavors in my writing. From epic battles with extraterrestrials to drama-filled, sexy contemporary romances. They’re all blanketed under the “new adult” (NA) category; meaning, I write stories about young people in that in between stage of youth and adulthood. The common theme is they are all just trying to find their way, make their mark on the world.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

A lot of my inspiration comes from the things around me. From old films to people I see walking around and going about their day. I love observing and absorbing. I always tend to write in some type of scandal into my books regardless of the genre. I blame that on my degree in political science. :P

3. What is your favorite series to work on? Are you planning more series, or sticking with The Space Between and Eldaen Light Chronicles for now?

I actually just officially released a book today (June 26, 2014) called FOUND BY YOU. I’ve written a lot of different types of people, but this one was my favorite. It’s a contemporary sports romance about an average girl and the star basketball player on campus. I think what I enjoyed about it was how real it felt as I was writing it. I believe the relationship between Roxie and Griffin could happen to anyone, and I love the realism there.

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

Ah, the never-ending files to-be-read on my Kindle. I just read a book called TETHERED by L.D. Davis. It’s a NA contemporary romance like what I write. I have a bunch of contemporaries I need to work through, but one of the best books I read this year was a dystopian NA romance. It’s set in modern day England, but slavery is legal in this world. People are allowed to own and enslave a seemly devolved race they believe to be Neanderthals. The heroine in the book falls in love with a slave owned by her brother. It’s called IN CHAINS by Michelle Abbot, and it was amazing.

5. What are you working on now?

I’ve got so many WIPs! Two of them are within the story world of FOUND BY YOU. I’ve also got a few contemporary romances I’ve started and the final book in the Eldaen Light Chronicles. Now, if I could just focus on one, lol.

You can find out more about Victoria at these links:
Found by You

He's noticed by everyone...

Griffin Chandler.

He's captain of our college's basketball team. I swear to God I've already seen him in a Nike ad, and he's one of the top picks when he goes pro following our spring graduation.

His life is on display for the world. Both his accomplishments and demons there for judgment.

I'm a girl who likes to play roller derby from, of all places, Wisconsin. My own demons better concealed. And one day...

He notices me.

Found by You is a new adult contemporary romance. It is available in ebook at Amazon, BN, All Romance Ebooks, and in print at CreateSpace.

2 comments:

Victoria Smith said...

Look at that picture! Haha! Throwback! I love it :D Thanks so much for having me on Robyn. I've learned so much from you awesome ladies!!!

RT Wolfe said...

Victoria! Look at your book! This is the first time I've seen it. Congratulations! So dang cool. Here's wishing you many sales.
-R.T. Wolfe