Monday, May 12, 2014

Read some good books lately?

I've been making huge progress in my 2014 Reading Challenge, so that's awesome. Though I have to admit that I really haven't dented my massive TBR bookcase, because I keep bringing new books into the house. Yes, I have an addiction. Though many of those books are library books, so that helps, right?

Except for all those ebooks... but they were 99 cents!

I'll stop now.

What I've been reading lately...

In the Black by Sheryl Nantus. You guys, this one is out right now, and you need to read it. I've often professed my love of Sheryl Nantus' Blaze of Glory and Blood of the Pride series. In the Black is the first in her new Tales from the Edge series and it's great. It has sci-fi, romance, murder mystery, a tough-but-traumatized heroine, and a hero who is totally Space Marshall Raylan Givens in my head. It's like a fabulous mashup of Justified and Firefly. So good. I can't wait to read the next one. (No really, I can't wait. Send it now, Sheryl!) ;)

The Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. I've been doing a read-along of the series with BFF Diana, and this month we're on Iorich. For those who aren't familiar with Vlad, he's an assassin with a sarcastic flying lizard companion. The series is pure fantasy (no romance), and it really makes me want to bust out my D&D books and roll some d20s. It's very good--complex world building, excellent banter, plots that keep you guessing. I love Morrolan. (Broody elf? Yes, please.) At the moment Dzur is my favorite in the series, because in addition to being a great story I was entertained by the food description. (Yes, I am addicted to the Food Network. And also Hannibal.)

Shadow Spell by Nora Roberts. This is the second book in the Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy. I didn't love it as much as the first book, but it was good. The story wanders from past to present in a way that really needs a TARDIS, and that was a little distracting to me. But Meara is a tough heroine, and I enjoyed learning about her background and her relationship to her family.

I'm really looking forward to the third book, which will be out in October. From the moment Fin showed up in the first book I was all, "OMG, when does he get to be the hero?!" He's definitely my catnip.


So what are you reading now? I'm still looking for a new vampire obsession if you have any recommendations. I'm also about to embark on reading the Shopping List at the end of Sarah Wendell's Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels. So that should be interesting.

No comments: