Thursday, April 24, 2014

Author Thursday: Interview with Yolanda Sfetsos

Today's guest is awesome author Yolanda Sfetsos, who has a new book out this week from Samhain! w00t! And, in case you didn't know, new releases are always 30% off at the Samhain store. Good book, great savings, what's not to like? ;) And the cover is gorgeous! Kanaxa does the best covers. (I know, because she's created all of mine.) ;)

1. What flavor is your writing? (Spicy? Action? Space odyssey? Ninjas? All of the above?)

The flavor of my writing would have to be otherworldly. I write in several genres—urban fantasy, SFR, horror, futuristic, whatever strikes me. All of my stories have several things in common. The supernatural always manages to squeeze itself in there somehow (because I love toeing the line between light and dark), romance is usually a big factor (because without love there’s not much of a story), secrets (because uncovering hidden secrets is fun), plus I enjoy throwing some action into the mix.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

I get it from just about anywhere. I can be listening to a song and a certain line sparks off a character, or I might be doing research for one story and a different idea comes to mind. I also get inspired by art/pictures I find online. And going for walks always fills me with inspiration.

3. Torn from the Shadows is your fourth Sierra Fox book. What is your favorite thing about working on this series?

I love this series so much! *hugs Sierra and the Gang*

This is actually the penultimate installment, so I’m super excited but also a little sad. I love everything about this series. Sierra has been with me for many years and her world is very vivid. I’ve always been intrigued by ghosts and wanted to write a story about a woman who could not only see them, but control the pesky buggers in some way.

Of course, the fact other supernatural creatures wormed their way in there wasn’t a surprise. I love reading and writing urban fantasy, so that’s another reason why I love it. ;)

4. What are you reading now or what books do you have in your TBR pile?

OMG, I have SO many books on my TBR pile! The problem is figuring out which one to read next because I want to read all of them right now. But I’ve got an ARC of Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris that keeps calling my name. I think I’ll read that one next…

5. What are you working on now?

Last week I finished Recast, Book 4 and sent it to my editor so I’m between projects at the moment. I’m going to spend a week scheduling promo spots and writing guest blogs/answering interview questions for Sierra’s book. But next week I’ll be sitting down with a calendar and a notebook to sort out my writing schedule.

I've got a bunch of ideas floating around inside my head that need some attention. Here are some of them: several spin-offs, demons, hunters, necromancers, cozy mystery, zombie apocalypse, a bear shifter, space pirates... I just don’t know which one to work on next. So many ideas, so little time.

You can find out more about Yolanda's writing here:
Torn from the Shadows, Sierra Fox, Book 4

All it takes is one goddess-affiliated demon to seal the deal.

Sierra Fox knows better than to believe the demon-obsessed freakshow has given up on her. She’s settled into a nice routine of living with her sister, enjoying her relationship with a sexy werewolf, and staying on top of work—and always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Predictably, things start falling apart as she’s suddenly swamped with surprise visits and unwanted advances, and someone she despises wants her help.

When a spook-catching training session goes horribly wrong, she encounters a man who’s not quite as dead as she’d hoped. Mace is now more than human and still determined to get his hands on her. But not if Sierra accepts the strengthening gifts her grandmother bestowed at her birth.

Having the good guys put a price on her head is enough to ruin anyone’s day, but Sierra refuses to give up or give in. Even if it means exercising the last option on earth she wants. But claiming the ultimate power may not be enough to save the man she loves before his werewolf past destroys him.

Warning: Phantasms, pookas, werewolves, and demons, oh yes! And a spook-catching heroine who must choose to take what’s rightfully hers—even if it means walking the shadows with a demon.

3 comments:

box5angel said...

Book 4! Congratulations, Yolanda! �� I need to catch up.

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Thanks Tara! Hope you enjoy Sierra's story. There's one more to go... :)

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Robyn, thank you so much for the very cool interview!