Thursday, March 6, 2014

Author Thursday: Interview with Devin Harnois

I'm super excited to have author Devin Harnois as my guest for Author Thursday! Devin's Love and Monsters and Alex Holden series are favorites of mine. :-) (Who doesn't love a talking cat named Mew-Mew?) Devin was kind enough to be pestered with interview questions. Please enjoy.

1. What flavor is your writing? (Spicy? Action? Space odyssey? Ninjas? All of the above?) 

I go all over the place, but I tend to stick around urban fantasy and its cousin paranormal romance. I also tripped and landed on YA a while back and I’m having fun with that.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

Everywhere. I never know what’s going to spark an idea. The NaNoWriMo book I just finished came out of a mish-mash of things gathered from Teen Wolf, Hemlock Grove, Once Upon a Time, a bunch of mythology, the blurb of David Farland’s Nightingale (I haven’t read the book), Supernatural, Harry Potter, Sky High, and the description of Matt Forbeck’s Monster Academy series.

3. I love the Alex Holden series! What was your favorite part of working on it? 

Do I have to pick one? Haha. One of my favorite things was the way Alex started talking in my head one morning, describing his life from the time he was two. He had such a strong voice I knew I had to write a book about him.

4. What are you reading now, or what books do you have in your TBR pile? 

I’m always in the middle of three or four books. Currently it’s Shadowdance by Kristen Callihan, The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, and Elric: Swords and Roses by Michael Moorcock.

5. What are you working on now? 

Editing the first book in the Shadow Valley series (YA urban fantasy), How To Make Friends and Not Incinerate People. I also just started the second book, working title The 7 Bad Habits of Slightly Troubled Monsters.

You can find out more about Devin here:

Not My Apocalypse by Devin Harnois

"My name is Alex Holden, and I’m the Antichrist." 

Alex is the son of the Devil, destined to help his father end the world. But Alex has other ideas. What he wants more than anything is freedom and a chance at a normal life. Constantly running away, he spends his time with his best friend -- a cat named Mew-Mew -- and a group of demigod teenagers.

Then Alex finds out Ragnarok, the Norse version of the Apocalypse, might be starting and he gets a crazy idea.

He's not going to destroy the world. He's going to save it.

No comments: