Tuesday, October 1, 2013

NaNoWriMo approaches. Will you answer the call?

It's that time again. The most wonderful time of the year--National Novel Writing Month! Or at least it soon will be. As November approaches, I'll be discussing my NaNo plans as well as sharing snippets from NaNos past.

Some of you love NaNoWriMo, some of you hate it, and the rest are probably wondering what the heck NaNoWriMo is. It's very simple: you have 30 days to write 50,000 words of a new novel. Succeed and you're a winner, and can bask in the glory of victory. Fail, and the world will end and zombies will devour us all. I always knew it was writers who would bring the zombies...

Okay, not so much. You don't "win" anything other than the satisfaction of having accomplished your writing goal. And yes, when you're an author technically every month is NaNoWriMo. I'm always working on something new, but NaNo is unique. It was where I first learned that I could do this. I could write a novel. Blood, Smoke and Mirrors was born from my first NaNoWriMo experience, and NaNo will always have a special place in my heart.

I have three published NaNo novels:
Not all of my NaNo novels ended in success. My 2009 NaNo, Bloodlines and Broomsticks, the original sequel to Blood, Smoke and Mirrors, is unpublished, and my other NaNo ideas didn't get very far. Most NaNos aren't published, and that's okay. National Novel Writing Month is a chance for anyone to be an author, to take the crazy idea they've always had for a book and run with it, and to share that experience with people all over the country. There's something empowering about going to a write-in.

So. Who else is answering the NaNo call this year?

1 comment:

Mandii said...

I'm going to give it another shot! To my absolute amazement I tried it out for the first time last year and I still can't believe that I managed to finish it. I'm not sure that book will ever really see the light of day, but I wrote it. That feeling is insanely addictive and I don't think I could resist trying to get there again :)
Best of luck to us both!!