Wednesday, July 31, 2013

To the Vampires, to make much of Time

The Emily Chronicles, or How One Little Seer Changed Magiciankind
 
It all started with Simon, in more ways than one. I started Simon's story before writing my first Bad Witch book, Blood, Smoke and Mirrors, so it was inevitable that he showed up in that book, and Emily and Michael came with him. The three of them kept stealing scenes the moment I wrote them, from comments from the undead peanut gallery to the brick in Emily's handbag. I knew I had to write more about the adventures of Simon, Emily and Michael, and thus The Importance of Being Emily came about.

In TIoBE, I was able to go back in time to Emily and Michael's mortal days in Victorian England to introduce the story of how they fell in love, despite the fact that Michael was already to committed to becoming an immortal member of the Order of St. Jerome. While I love letting these characters loose in the modern world of the Bad Witch books, the Emily Chronicles allows me to share where they came from, and, more importantly, how that journey affected the modern-day plot.


Enter Poison in the Blood. In this book, there's twice the magic, mystery, matchmaking and mayhem of TIoBE. This time the team fights crime in Victorian London, with the aid of Miss Justine Dubois, a female guardian with a no-nonsense attitude and a deadly parasol. In PitB, we learn how Emily joined Michael in his immortality. And in the process, we also learn about the tragic loss that turned Simon into the cranky vampire that we know (and I love) today. With some bonus faerie shenanigans, and a cameo appearance from Faust.

Eventually I want to continue with the tales of Emily, Michael and Simon's journey to America, and how they ended up in the Chicagoland area. I really want to write a story with them in Al Capone's Chicago, because I think vampires and bootleggers would be an interesting tale.

But, for now, I'm concentrating on the next Bad Witch book, which just so happens to be Simon's book. ;-)

1 comment:

Rebecca C. Wright said...

It has to be the parasols that make her so popular :)