Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

Today I'm a part of The Next Big Thing Blog Hop, thanks to an invitation from Lynn Crandall at The Write Way Café, whose next big thing is Dancing with Detective Danger. Thanks, Lynn!

What is your working title of your book?
Poison in the Blood

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Michael and Emily Black are characters who first appeared in Blood, Smoke and Mirrors. They're two of my favorite characters in the Bad Witch books, as is Michael's mentor Simon St. Jerome. In Emily's first book, The Importance of Being Emily, I told the story of how Michael and Emily learned that they're soul mates. In Poison in the Blood I wanted to show how they finally achieved their Happily Ever After. (And for vampires, that ever after is a long, long time.)

What genre does your book fall under?
Historical Paranormal romance, with a dash of murder mystery.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
My pick for Emily has always been Rachel Weisz. For Michael I envision Jack Davenport, especially in his role as Norrington in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. And though technically he's not the hero in this book (but my editor has Simon's book now, fingers crossed, people!), my pick for Simon is the swoon-worthy Benedict Cumberbatch.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Emily is a heartbroken seer, Michael is a newly-made chronicler; they fight crime!

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
As with the other Bad Witch books, Poison in the Blood will be released from Samhain Publishing in late Summer 2013.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Poison in the Blood was my 2011 National Novel Writing Month novel, so the initial draft took 30 days. And then there were several months of editing, rewriting, angst, beta reading and critique groups.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Hmm...as a Leanna Renee Hieber fan I'd say The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker, which I loved. Maybe a bit like Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I really wanted to tell the story of how Emily became a vampire. This book also gave me an opportunity to explain an important event in the Bad Witch setting, but I'm not telling what it is. (Because as River Song would say: Spoilers.)

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
There are a lot of fun things going on in this book. There's romance, action, mystery, murder and magic. Emily meddles in things she probably shouldn't, including prying into Simon's traumatic past. (There's a Very Important Vision that reveals...well, I'm not telling that either.) ;-)

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop continues December 26 with one of my favorite authors, Devin Harnois!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Very interesting post, Robyn. Good luck with what sound like great reads!

RT Wolfe said...

Great post, Robyn. Here's wishing you many sales!
-R.T. Wolfe

Rebecca C. Wright said...

You know I LOVE Emily...very exciting:)

Rebecca