Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy NaNoween!

funny pictures - To all you      ghouls out              there HAPPY HALLOWEEN
see more Lolcats and funny pictures.

I don't have any big Halloween plans. Basement Cat and I will be hanging out tonight, watching the Ghost Hunters live event on SyFy (okay, I may be a little excited about that, because I LOVE the TAPS crew). I do, however, have National Novel Writing Month plans starting at midnight. This will be my sixth NaNo (I know!). As you may already know, Blood, Smoke and Mirrors was my first NaNo. I should have good news to share soon about last year's NaNo, Bewitched, Blooded and Bewildered, or more popularly known as the second Cat book.

This year, I'm working on a sequel to The Importance of Being Emily, titled Poison in the Blood. This is my terrible blurb for it, but I'm not going to worry about it's awfulness, because it's NaNo and that's how we roll during November:
“Would talk about the haunted glen, the wicked quaint fruit-merchant men, their fruits like honey to the throat, but poison in the blood.” --“Goblin Market,” by Christina Rossetti

Mrs. Emily Black is mourning the loss of her husband and soul mate—to the Order of St. Jerome, who has just added him to the ranks of their immortal chroniclers. While Michael adjusts to his new blood-thirsty condition, Emily and their children are sent away to London for their own safety. But wherever Emily goes, trouble is not far behind.

Young ladies have been vanishing from their homes, only to be discovered days later completely drained of their blood, and magician society is in an uproar. Though the necromancers claim to be innocent, the murders continue, and tensions rise as whispers of war between the factions increase.

When an old acquaintance invites Emily to add her seer’s powers to the investigation, she joins forces with guardian Justine Dubois. The ancient and powerful magicians of London frown on the women’s involvement, but together they will face unimaginable dangers as they hunt the killer stalking the night.
So, anybody else doing NaNo?

Oh, that reminds me, I have a minor aside rant: Some authors are NaNo haters. I'm not sure why they drank the haterade on this subject, but the consensus seems to be that they think that to be a real writer one must write year round. Which is true. I write and/or edit just about every day, unless I'm taking a break between projects to clear my brain. I do encourage people who are serious about writing to write all the time.

But that's not the purpose of NaNo. NaNoWriMo is a shared insanity event, where people around the world experience the "joy" of writing a novel, all at the same time. It's a community thing. I love meeting other people during NaNo, because it's a chance to meet people who want to give writing a shot but who aren't quite sure they can do it. They're not ready to take the next step of seeking out organizations like RWA or a critique group--yet. I wasn't at that point when I did my first NaNo. But because I did NaNo that first time, I realized I really could do this. I could be a writer. As Obi-Wan Kenobi might say, it was my first step into a much larger world. And that is why I love NaNoWriMo.

4 comments:

December said...

I'm doing Nanowrimo too. I think its a great push to at least establish some good daily writing habits. Why would people hate on it? weird.

Robyn Bachar said...

Yeah I don't get the NaNo hate. It reminds me a bit of the old school publishers hating on e-books, because they're not "real" books. Like, "Those dang kids and their NaNoWhoseitWhatsitMos, they're not real authors."

dendrophilous said...

I don't see the point of the Nano hate. Don't do it if you don't like it, but why go to the effort to discourage others?

I'm sitting it out again this year. Every year I get tempted, because people have so much fun and I enjoyed the two years I did it. But I'm also not planning my writing schedule around it. Maybe next year or the year after I'll have an outline ready at the right time.

(How come I can't comment with Name/URL?)

Robyn Bachar said...

It's my comment settings. You have to have a Google or other associated account login to post. I like it, cuts down on the spam.