Friday, June 18, 2010

Storyteller: 20 Questions

Finishing Touches for Character Creation

Hi, my name is Robyn, and I’m addicted to character questionnaires. Really addicted. In need of a 12-step program addicted. But I find them very useful for character development, whether that character is meant for a RPG or for my writing. Here are two sets of questions that I’ve used for both. I did not create these, and I’m not sure where they originated from (I vaguely remember that the first set might be adapted from the 7 Seas RPG). I also have a template for creating in-depth character bios, and if anyone’s interested, email me at robyn at robynbachar dot com and I’ll send you the file for it.

  1. Who does your character have the greatest respect for?
  2. Why did they choose their particular profession?
  3. Do they collect anything?
  4. What is their most embarrassing moment?
  5. Are they superstitious? How so?
  6. If they were given the opportunity to know the exact date of their death, would they want to know it?
  7. Your character's chosen deity speaks to them, and says that they can end the war tomorrow if they will slay an innocent child. Would they do it?
  8. What is something your character has lost that they wish they could get back?
  9. What is your character's biggest regret?
  10. Do they believe in love at first sight?

  1. What country is your character from?
  2. How would you physically describe your character?
  3. Does your character have recurring mannerisms?
  4. What is your character's main motivation?
  5. What is your character's greatest strength? Greatest weakness?
  6. What are your character's most and least favorite things?
  7. What about your character's psychology?
  8. What is your character's single greatest fear?
  9. What are your character's highest ambitions? His greatest love?
  10. What is your character's opinion of his hometown?
  11. Does your character have any prejudices?
  12. Where do your character's loyalties lie?
  13. Is your character in love? Is he married or engaged/betrothed?
  14. What about your character's family?
  15. How would your character's parents describe him?
  16. Is your character a Gentleman or Gentlewoman? (think Code of Chivalry)
  17. How religious is your character?
  18. Is your character a member of a guild, club, or secret society?
  19. What does your character think of magic?
  20. If you could, what advice would you give your character?
Feel free to try out a few and post your answers in the comments. I know I had one for Cat, but I can’t figure out where it is, which means it’s probably on the old laptop… Anyway, next week I’m starting the plotting section by discussing story structure—levels, bosses, and rising and falling action.

1 comment:

Beth Caudill said...

Ugg I live in fear of the Character Questionnaire. I freeze up at the site.

Aside from basic descriptions (usually accompanied by a photo) I list their greatest fear and the biggest secret.

That's about all I can stand doing.