Monday, December 7, 2009

Chapter 4: The Most Important Lesson Ever

I've learned many things along the way from first spark of inspiration to "w00t! being published!" This is the most important lesson I've learned. Seriously important. All caps IMPORTANT:

For the love of all that is holy, never, ever send your mother your manuscript. Ever. Don't do it. Especially if it's a first draft. Even if she cries, begs, lays on the guilt, just say no. Tell her you'll give her an advanced reader copy after you have a book deal.

Here's why: Because, being your mother, she's going to be mom proud of whatever you do. Which, while nice, can result in her telling everyone she knows about how you're working on a novel. And if you sent her the electronic file, she's going to forward it to everyone in her email address book.

I'm still running into distant relations and family friends at holidays who tell me that they read my story. (insert banging of my head on my desk here)

Next time, we talk about the Romance Writers of America.

No comments: